If you are a senior citizen, you might have noticed that as you age, you become increasingly susceptible to poor foot health. As a result, a senior citizen might be at risk for developing foot conditions, such as athlete’s foot. Athlete’s foot is a particular kind of fungal infection that can result in a rash between the toes of the feet. Itching and redness can ensue. A senior might be prone to athlete’s foot because the elderly have a diminished ability to keep their feet clean and dry. Consequently, the fungus causing athlete’s foot can take hold in a senior. To prevent athlete’s foot, a senior can consider taking certain steps, such as regularly cleaning and drying the feet, applying a good moisturizer, and disinfecting the socks. If you are a senior looking to prevent athlete's foot, it is suggested that you contact a podiatrist for an appointment today.
Proper foot care is something many older adults forget to consider. If you have any concerns about your feet and ankles, contact one of our podiatrists from In Motion Foot and Ankle. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
The Elderly and Their Feet
As we age we start to notice many changes in our body, but the elder population may not notice them right away. Medical conditions may prevent the elderly to take notice of their foot health right away. Poor vision is a lead contributor to not taking action for the elderly.
- Neuropathy – can reduce feeling in the feet and can hide many life-threatening medical conditions.
- Reduced flexibility – prevents the ability of proper toenail trimming, and foot cleaning. If left untreated, it may lead to further medical issues.
- Foot sores – amongst the older population can be serious before they are discovered. Some of the problematic conditions they may face are:
- Gouging toenails affecting nearby toe
- Shoes that don’t fit properly
- Pressure sores
- Loss of circulation in legs & feet
- Edema & swelling of feet and ankles
Diabetes and poor circulation can cause general loss of sensitivity over the years, turning a simple cut into a serious issue.